Welcome. I’m a lawyer who’s passionate about empowerment. My law practice exists to help grow community wealth, lift up people, and protect and even rebuild our natural resources. That’s why I focus on
small business, cooperatives, and social enterprise.
My practice includes:
- Capital fund-raising–contracts and securities law compliance for small to medium-sized fund-raises, and fund-raising by cooperatives.
- Worker Cooperatives–organizational issues, contracts, and operating issues.
- General small business issues, with a green business and social enterprise emphasis.
- Start-up services
- basic employment issues
- advice in the grey area between business and non-profit law.
Events and Appearances
- Teach-in at SELC’s Legal Cafe on How to Crowdfund a House, Berkeley CA, 3/12/2014. Here are my slides from that presentation (a PowerPoint download).
- Panel on starting a housing co-op, hosted by LivingRoom Realty, Chicago IL, 3/20/2013
- Guest presenter on ways to share housing at New Community Vision’s Housing Mixer, Evanston IL, 4/28/2013
- Great Lakes Bioneers Chicago, panel on cooperative housing, Chicago IL, 11/3/2012
New Legal Rule Will Open Floodgates to Business Investment on www.triplepundit.com
Starting a Benefit Corporation? Should You Incorporate in Delaware? on www.triplepundit.com.
Crowdfunding: The Legal Need-to-Know on www.under30ceo.com.
Mentioned in Forbes Woman.
Sarah Kaplan Law Office is an online law office. This means you can reach me from the comfort of your desk or home, and you can access your legal documents conveniently over the internet, any time. My client portal uses bank-website-level security. My service is accessible to anyone, anywhere in Illinois and California.